Sat, Jul 29|
Beckwith Park, Victoria
Be A Kid: Make a Splash
Calling all Black, Indigenous and Kids of Colour! Join MAR Kids exploring activities as a group. July is having a blast at the splash park.
Time & Location
Jul 29, 2023, 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. PDT
Beckwith Park, Victoria, 857 Beckwith Ave, Victoria, BC V8X 5H3, Canada
About the Event
Moms Against Racism Presents... Be a Kid!
Each month get together with Black, Indigenous and Kids of Colour to have fun participating in a different activity.
Every child deserves to play freely, to laugh loudly, and to explore the wonders of the world in a joyfully inquisitive way. Every child deserves the opportunity to try something new, to connect with nature, and to do so without the judgmental and scrutinizing gaze of the people around them.
Unfortunately, for Black, Indigenous and Children of Colour, they often don't get these opportunities.
These children often face barriers when it comes to… being a kid. Barriers to participating in activities like finances, travel, time, lack of knowledge, stigma, fear for safety, and even just feeling like they’re going to stick out or be the only racialized kid there.
This month join us, and some more of the MAR Family, as we have some fun making a splash at Beckwith Park!
- Saturday, July 29th from 11:00am to 2:00pm.
- The first hour is reserved for just Be A Kid participants. From 12pm to 2pm it will become the MAR Family picnic.
- Bring Your Own Picnic Lunch and drinks. We will provide some fun treats for the kids.
- We will have picnic tables A, B, and C reserved for our group.
- Picnic table space is limited but there is lots of park space for blankets and chairs.
- Participation is by donation. If you can financially contribute, this would allow us to cover the cost for more children at future activities.
- 12pm to 2pm will be open to all MAR members.
- Please dress for the weather and occasion. There is the splash park, accessible playground, and some shade.
- There are washrooms available at the park.
- All kiddos (18 years and under) MUST be accompanied by at least one adult.
- The first HOUR of this event is open to children who identity as BIPOC and their immediate families/caregivers (white family members/caregivers are welcome). You are welcome to stay for the rest of the event and meet other MAR members.
- Open to residents in the Greater Victoria Area / Southern Vancouver Island.Thank you to our funder!
We are grateful to the Victoria Foundation for funding our Be A Kid Program through their Victoria Foundation Community Grants Program. This program supports our members and their racialized kids in creating community. This program will help to create opportunities for Black, Indigenous and Children of Colour to connect with each other, in a psychologically and culturally safer environment, while participating in an activity they may otherwise not.