Sun, Oct 22|
Be A Kid: Pumpkin Fest at Galey Farms
Calling all Black, Indigenous and Kids of Colour! Join MAR Kids exploring activities as a group. October is Pumpkin Fest at Galey Farms.
Time & Location
Oct 22, 2023, 1:00 p.m. PDT
Galey Farms, 4150 Blenkinsop Rd, Victoria, BC V8X 2C4, Canada
About the Event
Every child deserves to play freely, to laugh loudly, and to explore the wonders of the world in a joyfully inquisitive way. Every child deserves the opportunity to try something new, to connect with nature, and to do so without the judgmental and scrutinizing gaze of the people around them.
Unfortunately, for Black, Indigenous and Children of Colour, they often don't get these opportunities.
These children often face barriers when it comes to… being a kid. Barriers to participating in activities like finances, travel, time, lack of knowledge, stigma, fear for safety, and even just feeling like they’re going to stick out or be the only racialized kid there.
This month join us as we explore Pumpkin Fest at Galey Farms.
- Sunday, October 22nd at 1:00pm
- Arrive at 12:45pm and meet out front
- We will go through Pumpkin FaFests a group all to ourselves.
- Upon arrive we will do the train, the maze and then a hay ride. Approximate total time for all three is 2 hours. You are welcome to leave early if needed.
- On the hay ride you will have an opportunity to pick and buy a pumpkin. Pumpkin purchases are not included.
- You can bring snacks/drinks and there are picnic tables. There is one food vendor on site but the lines are always long. No food or drink will be provided.
- Children 18 and under must have a parent or guardian on-site at all times.
- Kids: 12 years and under - Free
- Adults: 13 years and older - $15.00
- To help us offer more events throughout the year, this event will have a cost. However, we do not want finances to be a barrier for anyone who would really like to participate. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for options.
- Event is open to children who identity as BIPOC and their immediate families/caregivers (white family members/caregivers are welcome)
- Open to residents in the Greater Victoria Area / Southern Vancouver Island
- This event is intended to build community. Come ready to meet and talk with new people.
- You MUST register all participants. People who have not registered may be refused access to the course.
We are grateful to the Victoria Foundation for funding our Be A Kid Program through their Victoria Foundation Community Grants Program. This program supports our members and their racialized kids in creating community. This program will help to create opportunities for Black, Indigenous and Children of Colour to connect with each other, in a psychologically and culturally safer environment, while participating in an activity they may otherwise not.