Sat, Jun 24|
Be A Kid: Tie-Dye it up!
Calling all Black, Indigenous and Kids of Colour! Join MAR Kids exploring activities as a group. June is getting creative with tie-dye.
Time & Location
Jun 24, 2023, 1:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. PDT
Victoria, 3281 Harriet Rd, Victoria, BC V8Z 3S3, Canada
About the Event
Moms Against Racism Presents... Be a Kid!
Each month get together with Black, Indigenous and Kids of Colour to have fun participating in a different activity.
Every child deserves to play freely, to laugh loudly, and to explore the wonders of the world in a joyfully inquisitive way. Every child deserves the opportunity to try something new, to connect with nature, and to do so without the judgmental and scrutinizing gaze of the people around them.
Unfortunately, for Black, Indigenous and Children of Colour, they often don't get these opportunities.
These children often face barriers when it comes to… being a kid. Barriers to participating in activities like finances, travel, time, lack of knowledge, stigma, fear for safety, and even just feeling like they’re going to stick out or be the only racialized kid there.
This month join us as we have some fun with tie-dye!
- Saturday, June 24th from 1:30pm to 4:00pm.
- Space is limited to 50 kiddos + their adults.
- Each kiddo will be given a white shirt to tie-dye.
- Adults can purchase a shirt to tie-dye if they would like to participate.
- Additional items can be purchased or you can bring CLEAN items from home.
- Refreshments will be provided for everyone in attendance.
- Entrance is by donation. If you can financially contribute, this would allow us to cover the cost for more children at future activities.
- Please wear clothing you are okay with getting stained. Sometimes as kiddos unleash their inner artist, the tie-dye goes everywhere BUT their project.
- All kiddos (18 years and under) MUST be accompanied by at least one adult.
- Event is open to children who identity as BIPOC and their immediate families/caregivers (white family members/caregivers are welcome)
- Open to residents in the Greater Victoria Area / Southern Vancouver Island.
- You MUST register all participants. People who have not registered may be turned away at the door due to capacity limitations.
Thank you to our funder!
We are grateful to the Victoria Foundation for funding our Be A Kid Program through their Victoria Foundation Community Grants Program. This program supports our members and their racialized kids in creating community. This program will help to create opportunities for Black, Indigenous and Children of Colour to connect with each other, in a psychologically and culturally safer environment, while participating in an activity they may otherwise not.